[GEMPAK #LJK-289125]: Nmap user manual and/or tutorial?

Hi Elie,

I do not have a document or guide to match GARP and NMAP2 functionality, but
the interface of each program is similar: rows of icons along the top for
different products, similar structure for loading of products by time, name and
field.

The one significant difference between GARP and NMAP2 is that GARP will display
a vertical cross section while NMAP2 can not.  There is no GUI equivalent for
vertical cross sections in NAWIPS, only command line GEMPAK programs such as
GDCROSS.

As for the transition, I would recommend installing the latest version, GEMPAK
6.10, over the previous 6.8 release. The installation of NMAP2 and other GUI
programs is contained within the build and install for GEMPAK.  I have made
available both 32 and 64-bit binary RPMs for GEMPAK 6.10, that may be the
easiest route for you to upgrade to the latest.

Sorry I don't have a general synopsis of GARP-to-NMAP2 to give you, but if you
have any more specific questions about building or installing or using
NAWIPS/GEMPAK, please send them my way.

Michael

> Thanks, Michael.
>
> A member of our faculty has been using Garp for a long time and I've managed
> to keep it up and running for a while but now we have no choice
> but to transition to Nmap2 since Garp as you know is no longer available
> and/or supported.  Do you happen to have some sort of transition guide to
> help her  get started with using Nmap2 instead?
> We're planning on installing Gempak 6.8.0  in a Linux (Centos 6.3)  lab for
> her students to use. I am not a meteorologist by any means
> but anything you can offer to help with the transition to Nmap2 would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Elie Saliba
> Sys Admin
> UNC Charlotte