[GEMPAK #KHC-587345]: GEMPAK questions from Peru

Hi Marcial,

re:
> How are you? Hot Summer?

The summer has been warm lately, but it is nice :-)

re:
> I know you are a busy guy so sorry for bothering you.
>
> 1. Here in Peru we have a computer running gempak (last version). NMAP2
> writes 3 times the next message and afterwards everything works fine
> but the zoom or map change does not work. I have searched UNIDATAs
> archives and found no solution. Any ideas?
>
> =========================
> Warning:
> Name: scale
> Class: XmScale
> The specified scale value is less than the minimum scale value.
> =========================

Michael will need to answer this one.

re:
> 2. Here in Peru they would like to get the 1 km resolution GOES image. Is
> this freely available in the ldm?

There are several pieces to the answer to this question:

- there is a 1 km VIS image product that is distributed in the IDD
  NIMAGE datastream, but its coverage does not go very far south; it
  extends to the middle of Mexico and no further

- the IDD UNIWISC imagery does cover Peru for most east sector scan times,
  but that imagery is 4 km not 1 km

- we operate GOES ingest systems from which one can pull 1 km VIS imagery,
  but that is typically done using applications like the IDV, McIDAS-V
  or McIDAS-X (but the Peruvians are not allowed access to Unidata McIDAS-X
  since our license from SSEC allows us to distribute McIDAS-X to
  educational institutions only).

So, the quick answer is: no, there is no relevant 1 km VIS imagery available
in the IDD, but there is another option that could work.

Ticket ID: KHC-587345
Department: Support GEMPAK