[GEMPAK #RJR-299468]: GDPVSF Status

Here are the results from changes made to GDPVSF.

The missing data holes still exist, but they can be minimized by controlling
the start and stop levels in GDPVSF.

But something else I found which is very important is that the THTA levels for
YSTART and YSTOP should match those used in THTA vertical interpolation in
GDVINT.

Latest GDPVSF source:

https://github.com/mjames-upc/gdpvsf

Replace the contents of $GEMPAK/source/programs/gd/gdpvsf/ with these files and
rebuild with the following command:
rm -rf $OS_LIB/gdpvsf.a ; make clean; make all; make install

There is an example csh script to produce the 4-panel image attached:

https://github.com/mjames-upc/gdpvsf/blob/master/pvbl.sh

This script can be run from any directory, just be careful with GDFILE, it will
look in $PWD/test/ for the gempak grid file.

An explanation of the script and 4-panel image:

GDVINT interpolates to THTA in 4 different ranges:

1) 270-380 -> test/vcord_thta_270-380.grd
2) 270-400 -> test/vcord_thta_270-400.grd
3) 270-420 -> test/vcord_thta_270-420.grd
4) 270-440 -> test/vcord_thta_270-440.grd

GDPVSF interpolates to PVBL for the same ranges:

1)
GDFILE = test/vcord_thta_270-380.grd
GDOUTF = test/vcord_thta_270-380.grd
GFUNC   = mul(exp(10,6),abs(pvor(pres,wnd)))
GDATTIM = f00
GVCORD  = thta
STARTL  = 380
STOPL   = 270
DESIRE  = 1.5
GDOUTL  = 15
GVOUTC  = pvbl
GPACK   =
GLIST   = thta
PMAX    =

2)

GDFILE = test/vcord_thta_270-400.grd
GDOUTF = test/vcord_thta_270-400.grd
GFUNC   = mul(exp(10,6),abs(pvor(pres,wnd)))
STARTL  = 270
STOPL   = 400
DESIRE  = 1.5

3)
GDFILE = test/vcord_thta_270-420.grd
GDOUTF = test/vcord_thta_270-420.grd
GFUNC   = mul(exp(10,6),abs(pvor(pres,wnd)))
STARTL  = 270
STOPL   = 420
DESIRE  = 1.5

4)
GDFILE = test/vcord_thta_270-440.grd
GDOUTF = test/vcord_thta_270-440.grd
GFUNC   = mul(exp(10,6),abs(pvor(pres,wnd)))
STARTL  = 270
STOPL   = 440
DESIRE  = 1.5

GDPLOT2 then draw fill contours for the *same* THTA range for all 4: FINT    =
10/280/380

If the THTA layers do not match in GDVINT and GDPVSF we see partial data
coverage as you reported before.

Tim, I would appreciate it if you could test the rebuild GDPVSF program with
your scripts, but I caution that the GDPVSF definitions must be made with care.
 Using a 5 K THTA interpolation increment with GDVINT and GDPVSF, for example,
results in a lot of small contouring artifacts.

I still do nut fully understand *why* GDPVSF behaves so poorly when the THTa
intervals don't match up, but I feel good enough about the program to add the
changes to the GEMPAK baseline.

Michael James
Unidata

Ticket ID: RJR-299468