[LDM #ZWH-604747]: NLDN data

Hi Marty,

re:
> We are not receiving NLDN data through Albany. We were until we switched to
> a new server.
>
> Th following is from the ldmd.log
>
> Oct 11 12:49:10 titan pqact[12890] ERROR: child 17556 exited with status
> 127 (PIPEdcnldn -m 25000 -b 30 -s minute05 -d data/logs/dcnldn.log -e
> GEMTBL=/usr/local/gempak/NAWIPS/gempak/tables data/nldn/YYYYMMDDHHNN_nldn.gem)

This log message shows that your LDM is receiving the NLDN products, but
the GEMPAK NLDN decoder, dcnldn, is not running correctly for some reason.

You can independently convince yourself that you are receiving the NLDN
products from UAlbany in either/both of the following:

1) use the LDM utility 'notifyme' to see if you have received LIGHTNING
   products in the past hour (3600 seconds):

<as 'ldm' on your LDM machine>

notifyme -vl- -f LIGHTNING -o 3600

2) review the data receipt statistics that your new machine
   is reporting to us:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Projects -> Internet Data Distribution
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/index.html#idd

    IDD Current Operational Status
    https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idd/rtstats/

      Statistics by Host
      https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/siteindex

Search for titan.met.sjsu.edu [6.10.1] and click on it to bring
up the list of feeds that titan is reporting statistics on.
Clicking on the volume link will display a plot of LIGHTNING
products received.  Near the top of this plot will be a label
that shows who you are receiving the data from (striker2.atmos.albany.edu).

re:
> Oct 11 12:49:10 titan pqact[12890] ERROR: Deleting failed PIPE entry:
> pid=17556, cmd="dcnldn -m 25000 -b 30 -s minute05 -d data/logs/dcnldn.log
> -e GEMTBL=/usr/local/gempak/NAWIPS/gempak/tables
> data/nldn/YYYYMMDDHHNN_nldn.gem" [filel.c:290]

This error is telling us that 'dcnldn' is not running/running correctly.
The first thing to do is verify that 'dcnldn' is in the PATH of
the 'ldm' user.  If it is, the next thing to check on is if it can
be run.  For instance:

<as 'ldm' on titan>

ldd `which dcnldn`

Is there any indication of shared libraries that can not be found?

re:
> We switched servers from rossby to titan. We have been working with David
> Knight at Albany. He suggested we contact you.

Yes, we saw David's CC and used it to create a new ticket in the
GEMPAK area of our inquiry tracking system.  Since we just returned
from the NWA meeting in Madison, WI, we (Michael) have not had a
chance to address the problem.

re:
> In the ldmd.conf file on titan, we have
>
> request         NLDN    ".*"    striker2.atmos.albany.edu (the spaces are
> tabs in the file)

This is working correctly since you are receiving the data.

re:
> Above that in ldmd.conf we have the following:
>
> exec    "pqact -f ANY-NEXRAD3-CRAFT-NIMAGE etc/pqact.gempak_decoders3
>
> and in pqact.gempak_decoders3 we have
>
> # NLDN lightning data
> NLDN    .*
> PIPE    dcnldn -m 25000 -b 30 -s minute05
> -d data/logs/dcnldn.log
> -e GEMTBL=/usr/local/gempak/
> NAWIPS/gempak/tables
> data/nldn/YYYYMMDDHHNN_nldn.gem
>
> A dcnldn decoder, which I copied from rossby, exists in the ~decoders/
> directory.

Is the OS and architecture the same on titan as it was on rossby?  I
am suspicious that 'dcnldn' executable from rossby is not able to run
correctly on titan.  If this is the case, you may need to build the
current release of GEMPAK on titan from source code.

re:
> Any help that you could provide is appreciated.

We can help you build GEMPAK on tital if given the necessary login information
for titan (e.g., logins for 'ldm', 'gempak', and possibly 'root' (if system
packages have to be installed on titan)).

Ticket ID: ZWH-604747
Department: Support GEMPAK