[GEMPAK #XOX-417231]: Installing GEMPAK

Hi Jim,

GEMPAK is distributed as source code, meaning the programs and libraries must
be compiled for each machines it is to be used on.  GEMPAK can be installed on
Unix-type machines only (this includes Mac OS X) but can not be installed on
Windows PCs.

The GEMPAK installation document (
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/GEMPAK/Install_GEMPAK.html )
requires a small amount of experience in a Unix shell environment (using
commands such as tar, ln, vi, source, make, cd and others), as well as some
experience with installation required library packages beforehand.

Sections of the installation document highlighted in a gray box are system
commands, those you would type at a command prompt (shell).

Typically GEMPAK will be installed by a system administrator.  If you do not
have a sys admin available to assist you, and are not comfortable installation
and configuring GEMPAK, I would recommend a bit of online searching for:

* Bash and tcsh shells
* Basic Linux commands
* Linux environmental variables
* How to install libraries with 'yum'
* Compiling and installing software from source in Linux

Hope this helps,

Michael James
Unidata

> How do I install GEMPAK?  I don't understand the directions.
>
> Jim Munley
>
> http://www.Jimmunleywx.com

Ticket ID: XOX-417231
Department: Support GEMPAK