[GEMPAK #ZEH-696027]: Is GEMPAK for me?

Hi Megan,

Unidata provides GEMPAK as a freely-available software package for the analysis
and display of meteorological data, and is distributed as source code for
compilation on Unix/Linux, Solaris, X86, OS X and FreeBSD operating systems (no
Windows).

The only requirement for downloading the package from Unidata is registration
with our website.  After that, you're free to download and install GEMPAK and
the LDM (local data manager) which will allow you to receive various datafeeds
(surface and upper air obs, satellite images and gridded models).

We have more information about these packages and Unidata's participation
policy online at

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/legal/participation.html

If GEMPAK and the LDM sound like tools that you'll find useful as a forecaster,
feel free to register at:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/account/account.jsp

And look over the GEMPAK installation and configuration instructions at:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/GEMPAK/Install_GEMPAK.html

Any installation problems or other support requests can be sent back to this
address, address@hidden

Best,

Michael James
Unidata

> Hello,
>
> I have several friends who have recommended GEMPAK, but I wanted to make
> sure this is a program that I would get use out of.  I've looked over
> the website, and I think the features look great.  However, I saw that
> there were some software use guidelines, but the link wouldn't open.
>
> I am a meteorologist for KEZI 9 News in Eugene, Oregon.   I do my OWN
> (rare on TV these days) forecasting not only for the region, but I
> frequently forecast for parts of the midwest during severe weather season.
> I have done a little chasing before, and I plan to do more once I get
> a job closer to home.  I also hope to have a job at the NWS and/or a
> major university in my future as well.
>
> Given that information, do you think GEMPAK is for me?  If so, how do
> I get started?
>
> Thank you,
>
> *Megan Taylor*
> Springfield, OR 97478
> Email 1: address@hidden
> Email 2: address@hidden
> Website: www.megantaylorwx.webs.com
> Work Phone: 541-485-5611 ext. 4026
>

> Hello,
>
> I have several friends who have recommended GEMPAK, but I wanted to make
> sure this is a program that I would get use out of.  I've looked over
> the website, and I think the features look great.  However, I saw that
> there were some software use guidelines, but the link wouldn't open.
>
> I am a meteorologist for KEZI 9 News in Eugene, Oregon.   I do my OWN
> (rare on TV these days) forecasting not only for the region, but I
> frequently forecast for parts of the midwest during severe weather season.
> I have done a little chasing before, and I plan to do more once I get
> a job closer to home.  I also hope to have a job at the NWS and/or a
> major university in my future as well.
>
> Given that information, do you think GEMPAK is for me?  If so, how do
> I get started?
>
> Thank you,
>
> *Megan Taylor*
> Springfield, OR 97478