[GEMPAK #DSE-712539]: High Contrast

Hi Billy,

GEMPAK consists of a number of command-line programs that inherit the
shell/terminal color settings, and GUI programs (including NMAP2, NSHARP and
X-Windows created by command-line programs) that default to black background
with white text and data values / symbols.  The width, line type and color are
all customizable, so with a little tinkering, you should be able to generate
plots that have high contrast as you described.

Take a look at the Map Aesthetics section of the GEMPAK tutorial

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/tutorial/aesthetics.html

and also at the GEMPAK manual pages for COLORS, LINE and TEXT, to begin.

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/gempak/manual/variables_index?colors

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/gempak/manual/variables_index?line

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/gempak/manual/variables_index?text

Let me know if you have any more specific questions about these customization
options.  Are you looking for guidance specifically with the command-line tools
or GUI programs?

Best,

Michael James
Unidata

> Full Name: Billy Irwin
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 6.2.0
> Operating System: CentOS 5.5
> Hardware:
> Description of problem:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am a visualy impaired user of advanced meteorology data. My eventual
> goal of working for the weather service but in the mean time i teach
> myself everything i can about that is used. I am the leader of our local
> Skywarn group. I require black backgrounds and white or light colored
> text such how a terminal window or high contrast theme looks in KDE. Do
> you know of any settings like this for all the GeMPAK? Right now it
> looks like Windows standard colors which is nearly impossible for me to
> see. When I review Level II Radar data I love the black background with
> white lines and colored returns.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Ticket ID: DSE-712539
Department: Support GEMPAK