[GEMPAK #IUV-151200]: gempak question

Hi Frank,

So far I've been unable to come up with a solution for this.  GDLIST is
designed to output values for every grid point contained within GAREA, so
there's no direct way around having the average value reported for each grid
point.  If you're scripting and would like to use the average value after it's
calculated by GDLIST, one kludgy solution would be to save the output to a text
file and then parse that file with a short python or perl script.  As I said,
kludgy, but right now I can't offer you an easy and direct fix.

Best,

Michael James
Unidata

> Dear Unidata Support,
>
> I feel like I'm missing something basic, but couldn't find the answer in
> the tutorial or in the archives, although I may just have not looked in
> the right way.
>
> I have a subset of a grid over the Tropical Atlantic.  I want to
> calculate the average of a quantity over this region.  I can get this to
> work by using gdlist, and specifying gfunc=savs(quantity), but this
> generates a lot of unnecessary output.  Is there an easier way to get
> just the average quantity, without listing all the points?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Frank Colby
> UMass Lowell

Ticket ID: IUV-151200