[GEMPAK #QZK-967029]: compiling gempak 5.11.4 on REL

the first line of your make.out file,

/home/gempak/GEMPAK5.11.4/config/Makeinc.linux_:1:
/home/gempak/GEMPAK5.11.4/config/Makeinc.linux_: Too many open files

indicates that the environmental variable $GEM_COMPTYPE is not being set in
Gemenviron (or Gemenviron.profile if you are using bash)

for example, near the top of $NAWIPS/Gemenviron you should see the definition

set USE_GFORTRAN=1
#set USE_PGI=1
#set USE_G77=1

which further down the file is used to define the appropriate makefile to be
used for your build.  in your case, if USE_GFORTRAN is as it appears above, the
makefile should be set to "Makefile.linux_gfortran".  Instead your build is
looking for "Makefile.linux_" - which obviously doesn't exist.  This is where
you'll have to investigate why $GEM_COMPTYPE is not being set correctly.  If
you want me to take a look just reply back with your Gemenviron (or
Gemenviron.profile for bash) file attached, as well as the output of "uname -a"

Best,

Michael James
Unidata

> Hi,
>
> I have spend a couple of hours trying to do this.  Installed OpenMotif
> but it keeps failing in the same spot.  I've attached the make.out file.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> thanks.
>
> Chris

Ticket ID: QZK-967029