[GEMPAK #EZJ-281212]: Gif creation

Hi Adam,

Issuing the command "make programs_gf" in $NAWIPS will build versions of
several programs that are linked directly to the device drivers and eliminates
the gplt/message queue interface.  Using gpmap_gf rather than gpmap, for
example, should speed up image creation time.

As for how useful GEMPAK would be for your purposes, invoking scripts from a
client-side interface is really not going to be as quick and fluid as you will
want, I'm sorry to say.  Much easier to generate products at certain time
intervals via cron and update/upload to the website as you go.

-Michael

> Full Name: Adam Taylor
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 5.11.4
> Operating System:
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: Is there any way to speed up a gif file creation in
> gpmap or basically any of the gempak programs?  If i try to do any loop (say
> 10 frames).  the gplt process is started/stopped each of the ten times to
> produce the 10 frames/files.  It takes 1 1/2 min just for the script to run.
>
> The script we are testing with but with the gif driver is from
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/examples/www/sat_csh.html
>
> We are tying to create a dynamic website where the content is only created
> when asked for.  Problem being...asking someone to wait 1 1/2 min for a 10
> frame sat loop is not realistic.
>
> I guess i was hoping for the speed of nmap where a 10 frame loop takes all of
> 3 sec to load and start looping....
>
> Thanks ahead of time!!

Ticket ID: EZJ-281212
Department: Support GEMPAK