[McIDAS #IWD-591877]: Displaying McIDAS AREA files in GEMPAK

Hi Gilbert,

Sorry for the delay in answering...

re:
> My friend continues to hammer out his thesis, and we are stuck on
> something. Even though this may be more of a GEMPAK question, I think you
> may know the key to unlocking the answer. We are trying to use "gpmap" in
> GEMPAK to display McIDAS AREA files from 1997. Sooooo...
>
> We set radfil=/blah/AREA0200, which is a valid AREA file (MDR). But we get
> an error message that says:
>
> [IM 1] No image type entry for file /blah/AREA0200

I think that the problem is that the MDR images will not be recognized as
radar related.  You should treat the MDR images in AREA format as if they
were a satellite image.

> This antiquated tutorial:
>
> http://www.atmos.albany.edu/weather/FAQ.gempak5.2
>
> shows that we need to set $AREA Environment variable. I don't see that
> anywhere on how to set it, where to set it, etc. All we want to do is
> display a bunch of vibible, IR, WV and MDR AREA files from that /blah
> directory. Do you know how? And how would I do that in Gemenviron?

I am certainly no expert on this as it is really is a GEMPAK "thing".

Question:

- doesn't GEMPAK have a 'satfil=' setting?

I would set this to the fully qualified name of the file in question
in a GEMPAK restore file and tell gpmap to use that restore file.
If this doesn't make sense (since it is lacking specifics), I will
get together with Michael to send a full description of what to do.

> Thanks for any help, as always!

Again, sorry for the delay in replying!

Ticket ID: IWD-591877
Department: Support McIDAS