[GEMPAK #BJJ-948087]: gddiag: Gempak 5.11.4 segfaults and/or no grids during gdgwrt().

This is indeed the correct venue for your question.

It's my guess that your GEMPAK 5.11.4 build does not contain a update which
applies to GDDIAG, similar to the ticket in the link you provided.  I have
attached the patched file and the instructions (word-for-word from the
mentioned ticket) are as follows:

As user gempak:

* cd $GEMPAK/source/gridlib/gd/

* mv the existing file gditoh.f to gditoh_orig.f

* cp the attached gditoh.f to $GEMPAK/source/gridlib/gd/ - you should now have
the new gditoh.f and the original backup in this directory.

in this same directory type:

"make all"
"ar -r $OS_LIB/gemlib.a gditoh.o"

then

* cd to $GEMPAK/source/programs/gd/gddiag/

type:

"make all"
"make install"

Let me know if you have any additional problems.

Best,

Michael

> Hello,
>
> I hope this is the correct venue for this query, I saw a similar issue here:
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/gempak/msg05658.html
>
> Currently using openSUSE 11.1 with libgfortran43-4.3.3_20081022-9.8,
> gcc-fortran-4.3-34.243, gcc43-fortran-4.3.3_20081022-9.8 and gempak5.11.4 on
> quad xeon 64 bit hosts.
>
> The issue we are experiencing is a fault during the write of grids to the
> target
> file in gddiag.
>
> <snip>
> GDFILE    Grid file                         /model/gfs/2009112912_thin.gem
> GDOUTF    Output grid file                  var.gem
> GFUNC     Scalar grid                       MAG (wnd)
> GDATTIM   Grid date/time                    F006
> GLEVEL    Grid level                        10
> GVCORD    Grid vertical coordinate          HGHT
> GRDNAM    Grid parameter name
> GRDTYP    Diagnostic grid type (Scalar/Vec  S
> GPACK     Packing type/number of bits
> GRDHDR    Grid Header Flags
> PROJ      Map projection/angles/margins|dr
> GRDAREA   Area covered by grid
> KXKY      Number of grid points in x;y      10;10
> MAXGRD    Maximum number of grids           200
> CPYFIL    Grid file whose navigation is to  #4
> ANLYSS    Grid analysis block               4/2;2;2;2
> Parameters requested: GDFILE,GDOUTF,GFUNC,GDATTIM,GLEVEL,GVCORD,GRDNAM,
> GRDTYP,GPACK,GRDHDR,PROJ,GRDAREA,KXKY,MAXGRD,CPYFIL,ANLYSS.
> GEMPAK-GDDIAG> GEMPAK-GDDIAG> [IP -7]  PRECSN is an unrecognized parameter.
> GEMPAK-GDDIAG> GEMPAK-GDDIAG> GEMPAK-GDDIAG> GEMPAK-GDDIAG> GEMPAK-GDDIAG>
> GEMPAK-GDDIAG> GEMPAK-GDDIAG> GEMPAK-GDDIAG> GEMPAK-GDDIAG> GEMPAK-GDDIAG>
> At 190 after ihzrmp,idrct = iarhdr array before gdgwrt()
> Segmentation fault
> </snip>
>
> The stack trace without debugging sym is useless to us but we can include it.
> The debug printf is in-house. The fault is not reproducible on 32 bit builds
> or against builds with an older gfortran instance.
>
> Thanks for your attention.

Ticket ID: BJJ-948087
Department: Support GEMPAK