[GEMPAK #ULU-782715]: how to get wind component

To answer your first question, you can simply use SFPARM = UWND;VWND (for wind
in meters/second) or SFPARM = UKNT;VKNT (for knots) in the SF programs to find
the U and V components of the wind, provided your surface file has the wind
speed and direction parameters.

See the SFPARM man page for more information:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/gempak/manual/variables_index?sfparm

As for your second question, you can check if UWND and VWND are in your grid
files with the program GDINFO

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/gempak/manual/programs_index?gdinfo

Finally, UREL and VREL are in meters per second, as defined in the grib product
they are decoded from,  using table $GEMTBL/grid/wmogrib2.tbl.  This table
defines the parameter names, units and scaling for the grib parameter id from
the model output.

To output in knots, you can use KNTV(UREL) and KNTV(VREL)

-Michael

> dear sir:
>
> I'm very thanks for your advice to help me solve the problem creating
> correct surface file .  however there 3 questions to want you help.
>
> First question, I want to get the wind components u and v by wind
> dircetory and speed.could you told me what should I do ?
>
> sceond question ,are both uwnd and vwnd  in the grd files if I want to
> draw a streamline by gdstream program?
>
> finally, could you told me the difference between uwnd and urel?
>
> thanks
>
> 2009-08-17
>

> gcs

Ticket ID: ULU-782715