[GEMPAK #JXG-744458]: Missing GEM files on new servers

Scott,

There seems to be a number of problems with your GEMPAK/LDM configuration, but
I think I can go through everything in this message. If you need further help
we can talk about providing me with remote access to your system and I could
take a more direct look. More on that later.

Firstly, in January 2005, the Environmental Modeling Center at NCEP changed all
file references for the Eta model to NAM, and GEMPAK/LDM followed suit. The
reason your scripts are unable to open these Eta files
($GEMDATA/model/eta/${cc}${yy}${mm}${dd}${fh}_eta212.gem) is that they simply
do not exist, instead they've been replaced by NAM/NMM directory and file
names. You will need to change these direct paths in your scripts, I'm sorry to
say.

The entry for Eta/NAM in your pqact.gempak

HDS|CONDUIT|NGRID (/mETA|MT.eta|MT.nam|^[LM]..... KWBE)
PIPE decoders/dcgrib2 -d data/gempak/logs/dcgrib2_ETA.log
-e GEMTBL=/home/gempak/GEMPAK5.11.4/gempak/tables

is technically correct, since it does specify "MT.nam", but "/mETA" and
"MT.eta" are unnecessary - it does no harm to have them included, but there
will be no results to process. MT.nam alone will suffice.

Notice that the above pqact entry does not explicitly define an output
directory, instead the directory is read from $GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl.

For example, on our system here at Unidata (GEMPAK 5.11.4) there are entries in
$GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl for

NAM $MODEL/nam YYYYMMDDHH_nam211.gem CAT_GRD SCAT_FCT -1 -1 -1 OFF/0/0 4
ETA $MODEL/nam YYYYMMDDHH_nam211.gem CAT_GRD SCAT_FCT -1 -1 -1 OFF/0/0 4
NAM20 $MODEL/nam YYYYMMDDHH_nam215.gem CAT_GRD SCAT_FCT -1 -1 -1 OFF/0/0 4
NAM40 $MODEL/nam YYYYMMDDHH_nam212.gem CAT_GRD SCAT_FCT -1 -1 -1 OFF/0/0 4

These entries specify the directory ($MODEL/nam) and filename
(YYYYMMDDHH_nam211.gem, for example) for the above pqact entry to send the
output (.gem files).

If you're seeing files written to $GEMDATA/model/eta/, then you probably have a
GEMPAK version conflict, meaning the pqact entry is reading an old version of
datatype.tbl with $MODEL/eta specified rather than $MODEL/nam - are you certain
you're sourcing the Gemenviron or Gemenviron.profile file correctly? Are your
environmental variables (result of 'env') specifying 5.11.4?

Have a look at these suggestions, see if this clears up some or all of the
problems.

If you're still having trouble, one option is to allow me to remotely access
your system to take a quick look and fix what I can. Obviously account details
should not be sent through email, especially to this support account. You can
give me a call at (303)497-8674 and we can talk on the phone if you would like.

Best,

Michael

Ticket ID: JXG-744458
Department: Support GEMPAK