[GEMPAK #YFG-765314]: Consistent reflectivity scale in gpmap

Hi Greg,

Clear-air and precipitation mode are different operating volume coverage
patterns for radar antennas, with different rotation rates and elevation scans
and thus different products produced for each volume scan.  NEXRAD radar
systems do not provide both clear-air and precipitation coverage within a
single volume coverage pattern. Furthermore, radar data specified in GPMAP as
RADFIL exist as gini images rather than gridded data.

It is possible to create custom radar gini files using nex2gini, but it will
require some edits to $GEMTBL/unidata/nex2gini.tbl and possibly a GEMPAK color
table such as upc_ref24.tbl

The following archived support question may be of use if this is the route you
wish to go:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/gempak/msg02513.html

Best,

Michael James
Unidata User Support

> I'm using gpmap to generate plots for individual radars. I've noticed
> that when a radar is in clear-air mode, my reflectivities are scaled
> from -28 to +28 dBz while when the radar is in precip mode I see a
> range from 0 - 75 dBz. Is there a way in gpmap for me to plot all
> reflectivities with a single consistent scale regardless of the radar
> scanning mode? I'd like the same colors to be the same reflectivity
> values regardless of the scan mode. I've looked through all the .tbl
> files in the distribution as well as the e-mail archives but can't
> seem to find any clue about how to do this.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg
> Greg Stossmeister
> NCAR/Earth Observing Laboratory (EOL)
> Telephone: (303)497-8692  Facsimilie:(303)497-2044
> e-mail: address@hidden
> Mailing Address:          Shipping Address:
> NCAR/EOL                    UCAR Foothills Lab 1
> P.O. Box 3000               3450 Mitchell Ln
> Boulder, CO 80307      Boulder, CO 80301

Ticket ID: YFG-765314
Department: Support GEMPAK