[GEMPAK #MWK-360360]: Gempak grib2 decoder

Harvey,

I'm not exactly clear on what kind of file format you have in mind for these
data.

You can use DCGRIB2 to decode from grib2 -> gempak files, that should provide
the fields you're interested in.

For example,

dcgrib2 out.gem < SREF_CONUS_40km_ensprod_biasc_20090319_0900.grib2

will produce a file "out.gem" in gempak format which can then be read and
plotted with a number of gempak programs (GDINFO, GDLIST, GDPLOT2).  This
gempak file will contain all of the probabilistic wind fields (unweighted mean,
weighted mean, stddev w.r.t. ensemble mean, normalizes stddev w.r.t. ensemble
mean).

If you need some help with how to use these gempak programs to view the data
please don't hesitate to ask.

Michael James
Unidata User Support

> Michael
>
> I want to be able to show the Ensemble wind fields for specific lat and
> longs, but also show the
> the Ensemble spread and probabilities.   I know there are grib2 'sref'
> files showing the mean, the  spread and the probability
> on the NCEP server.  I've converted these Grib2 files to GRib1 but the
> spread and probability files do not convert to Grib1.
>
> Would you be able to help me with Gempak to see what is available?
>
> Thank you
>
> Harvey
>

> Unidata GEMPAK Support wrote:
>
> >Harvey,
> >
> >One of the decoders that Unidata provides with GEMPAK is DCGRIB2, I believe
> >that will do what you are asking.
> >
> >For reference, including examples, please see the following links:
> >
> >http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/gempak/manual/decoders_index?dcgrib2
> >
> >http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/tutorial/decoders2.html
> >
> >http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/tutorial/decoders2a.html
> >

> >Let me know how else I can help,
> >
> >Michael James
> >Unidata User Support
> >

> >>Can you say what capabilities Gempak has decoding GRIB2 files.
> >>
> >>I am particularly interested in decoding some of the Ensemble products
> >>to get the probabilities.
> >>
> >>Harvey
> >>

> >Ticket Details
> >Ticket ID: MWK-360360