[GEMPAK #RSN-840640]: dctaf

Hi Brian,

Be sure that your files are formatted with the correct control characters at
the beginning and end of each report, such as

^A^M^M
999
SMCN23 CWAO 120900
AAXX 12094
71300 NIL=
71301 NIL=
71303 NIL=
71304 NIL=
^M^M
^C

dctaf is not able to process TAFs with the ZCZC/NNNN start/end, only those
formatted with the above control characters.

Michael James

> Thanks for the help.
>
> One more question.  I thought the file was in a WMO format.  Would you
> have any recommendations on what I need to do, then, to get it in just
> WMO format?
>
> Thanks
>
> Brian
>

> Unidata GEMPAK Support wrote:
> > Hi Brian,
> >
> > I believe we found a solution to this problem.
> >
> > While the metar decoder can handle both WMO and AFOS files, the TAF decoder
> > does not.  You will need to use a WMO format when using dctaf.  You may
> > also want to add the -b option to your dctaf command so that all reports in
> > the TAF file are processed.
> >
> > Also, the command that you provided
> >
> > "cat 2008081110.taf | dctaf -v 1 -d -c 080811/1000 2008081110gem.taf"
> >
> > likely was not working because the -c YYMMDD/HHMM option needs to be
> > specified before the -v and -d options.
> >

> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Michael James
> >

> > Ticket Details
> > ===================
> > Ticket ID: RSN-840640
> > Department: Support GEMPAK
> >

> --
> Brian Pettegrew
> Research Associate
> Cooperative Institute for Environmental Sciences
> NOAA/ESRL/Global Systems Division
> Boulder, CO
> Phone: (303) 497-4129
> E-mail: address@hidden