[GEMPAK #SME-633025]: Confirming Linux 64 Binary problem with 5.11.1 and Fedora 6

Hi Samuel,

re:
> Just to let you know, I'm getting the same problem on our RHEL5/CentOS5
> Server.
> (Compiled source distribution doesn't show a problem)

We have seen enough instances of local builds from source eliminating problems
seen
when using a binary distribution under Linux, that we will now advise Linux
users
that it highly recommended to build from source.  The problem, of course, is
that
the various Linux variants and even different releases in the same variant have
lots of differences from one another.  Linux is not Linux is not Linux (sigh).

> I'm becoming convinced there is a problem with nmap2 in the binary
> distribution.

Agreed.

> I'm also getting the following set of warnings from GARP, when I run it from
> the
> binary distribution on RHEL5/CentOS5. These warnings don't occur when I run
> garp
> from compiled source, and I don't recall them occurring on Fedora Core 6 at
> all.

OK.  This is reaffirms our move toward recommending that Linux users build from
source unless their systems match the one here at the UPC on which the binary
was
built.

> You might want to consider distributing another set of binaries for
> RHEL5/Fedora6/CentOS5
x86_64,

This would be problematic since we do not any of these distributions here in the
UPC.

> or adding a disclaimer to the existing distribution.

That is what we are planning on doing for the August release of GEMPAK/NAWIPS.

> [gempak@shu1 ~]$ garp
> G A R P - v2.1 starting...
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/icons/icon03.xbm.
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/icons/icon07.xbm.
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/icons/icon09.xbm.
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/icons/icon08.xbm.
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/icons/icon12.xbm.
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/icons/icon14.xbm.
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/icons/icon19.xbm.
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/icons/icon21.xbm.
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/icon/iconclr.xbm.
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/icons/icon26.xbm.
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/icon/iconbak.xbm.
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/icon/iconfor.xbm.
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/ico/iconstep.xbm.
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/ico/iconbak1.xbm.
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/ico/iconstop.xbm.
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/ico/iconfora.xbm.
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/icon/iconbak.xbm.
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/icon/iconfor.xbm.
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/ico/iconstep.xbm.
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/ico/iconbak1.xbm.
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/ico/iconstop.xbm.
> Warning: Couldn't load the pixmap /pub/nawips-dv/comet/garp/ico/iconfora.xbm.

Ticket ID: SME-633025
Department: Support GEMPAK