[Staging #JOC-474429]: dcnldn question

Hi Pete,

re:
> Hi - I see in $GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl the NLDN entry specifies where
> decoded NLDN data in shipfil format resides,

Yes, the person who first put the NLDN data into GEMPAK chose the ship file
format since it most closely fit (the location changes from stroke to stroke).

> but what kind of Lightning
> data does the LTNG header specifying - raw binary data from the NLDN?

I am not familiar with the 'LTNG' header.  Is this in the GEMPAK source
code?  If the answer is yes, then the data is from the NLDN IDD datastream,
and this is the lightning data that the Unidata university community receives.
It is that datastream that Stonie was referring to in his reply to your original
email this morning.

Ticket ID: JOC-474429
Department: Support GEMPAK