[GEMPAK #ZIW-982919]: nex2gini crashes

Hi Robert,

re:
> Description of problem: nex2gini worked perfectly well for me last year
> with GEMPAK 5.9.3, 5.10.3.  This year nex2gini crashes about 95% of the
> time on our 32-bit Dell system in New Mexico with 5.9.3, 5.10.3 both Unidata
> and local versions (compiled with optimization and without).

This is the first report I have seen about the problem existing in v5.9.3 and
5.10.3.  We have received a couple of reports of problems with nex2gini and
img2grd (?) in the 5.11.1 release.  I was working on the assumption that some
GEMPAK interface changed so something is being called incorrectly.

> My radar data itself seems to be fine and I have verified no errors on
> our PDI NOAAPort ingest.  The weird thing is that I have a 64-bit Solaris
> (AMD) machine in Texas running locally compiled 5.10.3 and it works just fine.

It sounds like a pointer is being stepped on (or something similar).

> Any ideas?

I have been advising folks to use the binary from a previous release that worked
until the coding problem can be found, fixed, and a new release made.

> Until we upgrade our single T1 in New Mexico I can't really get the composite
> from the IDD.

I do not recommend upgrading to 5.11.1 if you are seeking a solution to
nex2gini.
Again, we need to find and fix a bug.

I hope you also realize that we are struggling to give GEMPAK users the full
support
that they need/deserve since Chiz left Unidata in January.

Ticket ID: ZIW-982919
Department: Support GEMPAK