[GEMPAK #HXT-506982]: gen_paqact.csh with Fedora 8

Hi Collin,

re:
> I'm needing a little help with the GEMPAK 5.11.1 installation.  I actually
> used to be a decent UNIX and GEMPAK user, but I'm very rusty (it's been 8
> years
> since using both).
>
> I'm running Fedora 8.
>
> I've downloaded the binary distro and untarred it.  I'm at the point to run
> the
> gen_pqact.csh script, but I keep getting an error about token "newline" on
> line 24.

Strange.

> I'm using the default bash shell and I had to modify the line in the
> gen_pqact.csh
> script from '#!/bin/csh -f' to '#!/bin/bash -f' to get the script to even
> run.  Maybe
> that's not the best way.

You are correct, making the change to the gen_pqact.csh script was not the best
way
since the syntax in the file is for the C Shell.  Changing the first line to
make
it look like a Bash shell will just lead to errors like the one you experienced.

The better way to attach the problem is to:

- create a .cshrc in the HOME directory of the user you are installing GEMPAK in
  (presumably ~gempak)

- add the necessary definitions to ~gempak/.cshrc:

# set GEMPAK environment
source /home/gempak/Gemenviron

- run the C shell:

csh

- while running the C shell, run the gen_pqact.csh script.  I would suggest
creating
  separate pqact.conf files.  This means that you would answer No ('n') to the
  question:

Do you want to combine entries to a single pqact.gempak? [y/n]

  that gen_pqact.csh will ask you.

- after the pqact.conf files have been created, exit the C shell

exit

> The GEMPAK variables do appear when I type 'env'.
>
> Any thoughts?

Please try the approach above (after returning the gen_pqact.csh script to its
original
form).

Also, we have had several comments from GEMPAK 5.11.1 users that seem to
indicate
that there may be some problems with the distribution (investigations are
underway
to determine if this is, in fact, true).  Give this, it may be wise to use the
GEMPAK release immediately before 5.11.1, 5.10.4 .

Ticket ID: HXT-506982
Department: Support GEMPAK