[GEMPAK #YOQ-706010]: Problem since upgrading to 5.11.1

Hi Allan,

I apologize for the slowness of response to your inquiry.  Our GEMPAK guru,
Steve
Chiswell, left Unidata back in January, and we have been struggling to provide
the support that our user community needs while searching for a replacement.

re:
> In order to computer average 6-10 and 11-15 500mb height anomalies and 850mb
> Temperature anomalies for the GFS Ensembles with Gempak, I composed an
> elaborate
> gddiag script that broke the problem into pieces and then plotted them with a
> gdplot2_gif script. These scripts worked fine for version 5.10. I downloaded
> the
> gempak grib files for each hour from the NCEP ftp server.
>
> Recently I upgraded to 5.11.1, and all the scripts for the rest of my
> parameters
> run fine for all models, calculations etc. But now with 5.11.1 my gddiag
> scritp
> writes the "pieces" of my calculation to the selected file, but when I try to
> plot
> it using gdplot2_gf either in a script or interactively it tells me
> "Number of times = 0" and then plots nothing either as a gif or in the xw
> window.
> I changed nothing, and as I mentioned every other script works fine, just for
> some
> reason there seems to be a problem in 5.11.1 with gdplot2 reading the gdattim
> paramter
> with two times for instance:
> 080308/0600F240:080308/0600F132
>
> Again this worked fine in 5.10.2. Any ideas?

We have had several inquiries that point to their being problems with the 5.11.1
release.  We were under the impression, however, that the problems were isolated
to Unidata-added routines.  Your problem seems to indicate that the problem with
5.11.1 may be located in core GEMPAK code.  Finding and fixing the problem will
unfortunately take us some time.  Until we can fix the code, it might be best if
you reverted to use of GEMPAK 5.10.2.

> I attached my gddiag script and my gdplot2_gf script. Thanks.

I did look at your scripts last week and did not see anything that looked
obviously
wrong.  A couple of us will take a new look to see if we can figure out a
solution
or workaround that would keep you from having to revert to 5.10.2.

Again, we apologize for the slow response.

Ticket ID: YOQ-706010
Department: Support GEMPAK