[LDM #VHI-178180]: IR data products for tropical Atlantic

Hi Ed,

I just noticed that you submitted to inquiries on your attempts to display
some GOES-East IR imagery in MERCator projection.

Specifically, in your first inquiry, you asked:

> Do i need a "McIdas area file" for GAREA ? ( /ldm/data/mcidasd/AREA???? )

No.

> Do i need to remap the data with something like McIDAS 'IMGREMAP' ?

This would be one easy way to accomplish what you want.  You could use
IMGREMAP to create a new image in AREA format that has the McIDAS MERC
(actually rectilinear (LATxLON)) and then use that image in GEMPAK.

> I noticed that there is an img2gd command
> but I think we are GEMPAK5.9.1. at UM/RSMAS.
> Should I be doing a 'img2gd' and the a 'gdmap' ?

This is another possibility.  Our former GEMPAK guru, Steve Chiswell, added
the capability in GEMPAK of turning an image into a grid; manipulating the
result with GEMPAK routines; and then turning the grid back into an image.
I am not exactly sure which GEMPAK release included this capability, but I
know that it has been included for about one year.  Therefore, in order to be
able to
use this capability in GEMPAK, you may need to upgrade to a more recent release.

> I am using 'gpmap' to plot the data files in
> metofis:/ldm/data/gempak/images/sat/GOES-12/4km/IR/
> ( see attached shell script 'test-script.csh' )
>
> It appears to only plot with the projection = SAT.
> I would like to plot the data in a 'flatter' projection.
> For example, I would like to plot the data with the
> GAREA variable set to the GEOG of OPCHUR which is a MER projection.
> i.e.
> !GAREA    = 0;-100;55;-45
> !PROJ     = SAT
> !GAREA    = 1.00;-99.00;50.05;-15.00
> GAREA    = OPCHUR
> PROJ     = MER
>
> How do I do this ?, Can I do this ?
> Is there another variable I have to set in 'gpmap' ?
> Is there another gempak command I have to run on the data files
> before plotting with gpmap to get something other than a SAT projection ?
> Do i need a "McIdas area file" for GAREA ? ( /ldm/data/mcidasd/AREA???? )
> Do i need to remap the data with something like McIDAS 'IMGREMAP' ?
>
> I noticed that there is an img2gd command
> but I think we are GEMPAK5.9.1. at UM/RSMAS.
> Should I be doing a 'img2gd' and the a 'gdmap' ?
>
> I am very new at gempak, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Ed Ryan
> Edward H. Ryan
> Senior Research Associate
> Meteorology & Physical Oceanography
> Rosenstiel School of Marine & Atmospheric Science
> University of Miami
> mail:RSMAS/MPO, 4600 Rickenbacker Cswy, Miami, FL 33149
> email:address@hidden
> tel:+1-305-421-4109
> http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/personal/eryan/
> http://OceanCurrents.rsmas.miami.edu/