[GEMPAK #ZUL-859909]: Lat/Lon grid definition

> Hi Steve,
>
> Thanks, this works very well.  I used your first suggestion, producing
> latlonpts.stn.
>
> I have been experimenting with the LATLON parameter with the hope that I
> can turn off the grid lines (now produced with STNPLT) while retaining
> the lat/lon labels.  It appears that whatever I do to the color,
> linewidth, etc. applies to both the line and the label, so making the
> grids white will result in an invisible label as well.  Do you have any
> suggestions?

Nope. Stuck on that. The solutions I have are either:
- use line type 10 and and adjust spacing, but can't get rid of it all
or
- If you area is constant, I'd suggest creating a basemap vgf of
 the latlon labels and points, and edit the lines out in NMAP2
by selecting all "lines" and deleting. Then when you create your
product, you could just overlay that vgf without having to render
the points (you could also use vgappend to add this to your product).

> Also, of a more general nature, where are the line types, colors, etc.
> defined?

The "definition" of colors is in $GEMTBL/colors/.
The line types themselves are rendered by $GEMPAK/device/draw/iline.f
(which calls idash ...and/or idraw). You can use the program "plotsyms"
to display the line types, or the program "atest" to test the interfaces
to the drawing commands through the $GEMPAK/source/gplt library routines.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>
> Unidata GEMPAK Support wrote:
> >> Full Name: Mark Hughes
> >> Email Address: address@hidden
> >> Package Version: 5.10.3
> >> Operating System: Linux
> >> Hardware: HP Pavillion
> >> Description of problem: Hi,
> >>
> >> I am using gpmap to draw .vgf files produced from BUFR data.
> >> I would like to draw lat/lon grid lines with a dotted line which has dots
> >> one degree apart.
> >>
> >> Is this possible?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Mark Hughes
> >> Global Weather Dynamics, Inc.
> >>

> > Mark,
> >
> > One solution I have to ensure 1 degree spacing and allow you the
> > flexibility of
> > choosing any marker type (dots, crosshair, etc) is to create a station
> > table with
> > bogus station ids for every lat/lon and then use STNPLT to plot the station
> > locations in the table.
> > This might be slower than you want, but guaranteed to work. I attached a
> > script to output
> > those points which you can redirect to a file. Here is the STNPLT line I
> > tested after
> > running the script and outputting to a file latlonpt.stn:
> > STNPLT   = 0|3/15/3/1|latlonpt.stn
> >
> > Another simple solution is to create a 1 degree CED file (eg proj #003) or
> > just grab the latest GFS and use gdplot2
> > to plot a marker (eg TYPE=m), set IJSKIP=0, MARKER = 3/15/3/1. I like this
> > since it allows you to use IJSKIP
> > to filter the points to change the spacing (multiples/filter) should you
> > like.
> >
> > Anyhow, thats 2 solutions off the top of my head.
> >
> > Steve Chiswell
> > Unidata User Support
> >
> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: ZUL-859909