[CONDUIT #TXJ-445347]: Re: [conduit] [ldm-users] Addendum: GFS missing/delays:

> Steve,
> Thanks for clarifying.
>
> Follow up question:
> I see the new file "..gfs703..". This appears to be the GFS one
> degree sent as GRIB2, which is replacing gfs003. The data in this
> file goes out to 90 hours. Is that by design or are we missing the
> hours from 90 to 180?

Mike,

The $GEMTBL/grid/grdnav.tbl has an entry at the bottom for
GG01 703 that is identical to the grid 3 at the top of the file, and dcgrib2 is
using that
as the number (loading the table last in first out). Place a "!" character
at the beginning of the 703 line to avoid using that. I don't know why NCEP has
that identical projection information in their table.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport

> My understanding was that the GFS one degree would transition from
> GRIB1 to GRIB2, but it would all be there as it was in GRIB1. I'm
> sure I'm missing something as usual.
>
> Any clarification you can provide would be appreciated.
>
> thanks,
>
> -Mike
>

> At 11:57 AM 11/27/2007, Steve Chiswell wrote:
> >Art, Kevin, Mike et al.,
> >
> >The 12Z GFS data in GRIB2 was available as normal  in CONDUIT.
> >The GRIB1 GFS data has now been removed from CONDUIT (eg the
> >1 degree f000-f180 and 2.5 degree f192-f384) as of the 12Z run.
> >
> >The 12Z change noted regarding the NOAAport data (unrelated to CONDUIT)
> >which populates the HDS feed of IDD is that only the thinned grid
> >tiles (eg grid numbers 37-44) arrived in GRIB1, whereas  until 12Z,
> >GRIB1 data was available for:
> >#201, #202, #203, #211, #213, #225
> >
> >I did not see a change notice regarding any removal of GFS in GRIB1 from
> >the
> >operational NOAAport data stream. As Mike notes, a switch to the
> >NOAAport uplink
> >did occur, so there may have been a possible problem at that end.
> >
> >The 12Z GFS GRIB2 data on NOAAport sent in the NGRID data feed did
> >contain grids: #160, #161, #201, #212, #213, #254 as normal. Since the
> >#202, #203, #211
> >and #225 grids are not available here, it is not due to replacement by
> >the same data in GRIB2.
> >
> >We'll see if the NWS can provide any information regarding the missing
> >data on NOAAport.
> >
> >Steve Chiswell
> >Unidata User Support
> >

> >On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 13:53 -0500, Arthur A. Person wrote:
> > > All --
> > >
> > > It's our observation that the HDS grib1 data for GFS were all dropped
> > > except the "thin" grids... i.e. we're not seeing GFS grids 201, 202, 203,
> > > 211, 213 or 225 any more whereas before 12Z this morning, they came in
> > > regularly.  It's my understanding that there were to be no changes to the
> > > HDS feed, so I suspect there's been an error...  perhaps Steve Chiswell
> > > could comment...?
> > >
> > >                                     Art

> > all the way out

> > 1-deg GFS, and
> > gridded fields that
> > mandatory pressure
> > height levels.

> > as I don't

> > variables.  Ftp scripts are

> > and I noticed

> > NWSTG WILL

> > > Arthur A. Person
> > > Research Assistant, System Administrator
> [...]

Ticket ID: TXJ-445347
Department: Support CONDUIT