[GEMPAK #HHK-596993]: hung processes

Heather,

Check to see that you don't have any files or directories in your path
or working directory called "gplt" which wouold cause an attempt to launch
that gempak program to fail. Try typing "which gplt" to make sure that
the correct $GEMEXE/gplt is being found in your path.

Are you able to run GUI processes such as ntl, nmap2, nwx? Since these
do not fork a gplt process, that would determine if the problem is gplt related.

Since you seem to say that it was working until some point, then it
sounds like something in the file system, either local or nfs is confusing
your PATH to $GEMEXE executables.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Full Name: heather reeves
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version:
> Operating System: mac Os 10.4.10
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: Hi, I think I may have some hung gempak processes,
> but I'm not able to get rid of them via the usual means.   I was running
> gempak earlier today, then started to get the following error when executing
> a gempak script "csh: No more processes. could not fork"   So, I entered
> "top" to see if anything was running.  Nothing was.  I entered ps -aux to
> look for old gempak processes, still nothing.  So, I entered /bin/ps.
> Nothing was listed but the two windows I have opened.   I also entered "ipcs"
> but nothing is listed.   I restarted the computer, but gempak still doesn't
> work.  All other applications I've tried do work.  It's just Gempak.   I've
> entered "gpend" at the prompt.  Tracing it's progress with the top command
> shows that gpend stalled 7 seconds after I started it.  I'm at a loss as to
> what to do next and am gratefull for your advice.
>
> Thanks, Heather

Ticket ID: HHK-596993
Department: Support GEMPAK