[GEMPAK #GRF-750081]: WMO Station table lists

Lakshmi,

The station table sfmetar_sa.tbl is expanded from the NCEP table of sfstns.tbl
based on
the metar reports we see in the realtime NOAAPort data stream. Finding reliable
location information for sites is a large effort in itself.

The snstns.tbl file is the typical upperair station table provided by NCEP again
based on the realtime distribution.

You can provide your own station tables with augmented ids and locations. If you
would like to provide them as a resource to users of the data, it would always
be appreciated.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Full Name: Lakshmi Venkataram
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 5.10.1
> Operating System: Linux and Solaris
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: Hello,
>
> We use Gempak 5.10.1 for multiple projects. I noticed that the Gempak tables
> sfmetar_sa.tbl has 4819 entries and snstns_land.tbl has 2797 entries. On one
> of our projects we have tables of the WMO reporting stations collected from
> NWS and NCAR sites. These tables have over 11000 entries of surface stations
> and over 11000 entries of upper air reporting stations.
>
> Can you explain why there is such a small number of stations listed in the
> Gempak tables?
>
> Are there updated tables available from your site?
>
> Thanks
> Lakshmi Venkataram

Ticket ID: GRF-750081
Department: Support GEMPAK