Re: possible gvar issue

Patrick,
I  hit send too fast on the last post before I finished:

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 10:45 -0600, Steve Chiswell wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> There are 2 duplicate fields in the GFS data set. The nagrib2 output
> will
> show the [GD -10] message about grid already exists in output file.
> The result is 329 fields are read, but only 327 are written to the
> output file.
>
> The dgrib2 verbose logiing output shows these duplicate fields are:
> SOIM [071029/0600F012] 0:0 DPTH
> TMPK [071029/0600F012] 0:0 DPTH

This is caused by the rounding of the DPTH vertical coordinate to whole
meters such that 0 to .1m and .1 to .4 meters are both stored
as glevel 0:0.

The $GEMTBL/grid/g2vcrdwmo1.tbl vertical coordinate table provides:

106 106 Layer btwn 2 dpths below lnd sfc  m                    DPTH
0

To avoid the confusion from rounding, you may want to change this to
store
the levels as centimeters (eg bumping the SCALE column to "2" such as
:
106 106 Layer btwn 2 dpths below lnd sfc  m                    DPTH
2

By making that change you will have levels of 0:10 and 10:40 and
no duplicate levels being overwritten.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

--