Re: [conduit] CONDUIT change dates for GRIB2 GFS files

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 13:40 -0700, Mike Voss wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Thanks, sorry for the confusion. I should have asked this question:
> Will the general "pqact" entry for all NAM output still work?
>
> -----------------------------
> HDS|CONDUIT|NGRID      (/mETA|/mNAM|MT.nam|^[LM]..... KWBE)
>         PIPE    decoders/dcgrib2 -d data/logs/dcgrib2_ETA.log
>                 -e GEMTBL=/usr/local/gempak/GEMPAK5.10.2/gempak/tables
> -----------------------------
>
> And related.... if I am now receiving both GRIB1 and GRIB2 versions
> of NAM212 40KM via CONDUIT, is it decoding both? I only see one file:
> ------------------------------------
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 ldm ldm 460025856 Oct 17 15:08 2007101712_nam212.gem
> ------------------------------------
>
> thanks again,
>
> -Mike

Mike,

Your pqact action above is NOT decoding any CONDUIT NAM  data.
The MT.nam pattern was used to match NAM data when the CONDUIT source
was the NWS ftp servers, not the NCEP ftp servers.

The general NAM product file naming used on CONDUIT is shown here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/conduit/ldm_idd/nam_files.html

A commented out "catch all" pattern distributed with GEMPAK 5.10.4 in
$NAWIPS/ldm/etc/templates/pqact.gempak_decoders.in is:

# If you want to decode all NAM data currently available, use this action
# instead of the individual decoder lines shown below.
#HDS|CONDUIT|NGRID      (/mNAM|nccf/com/nam|^[LM]..... KWBE)
#       PIPE    decoders/dcgrib2 -d data/gempak/logs/dcgrib2_NAM.log
#               -e GEMTBL=@GEMTBL@

I do not use a catch all pattern here due to the large number of
different grids that the
NAM is being transmitted on in the 3 different IDD data streams. Using
the
individual default patterns distributes the decoder load to different
processes.

One point of clarification is that the GRIB2 data does not define the
grid number 212
within the data products! That means that the @@@ file name template
cannot
be determined solely from the GRIB2 data itself, which the above pattern
will need.
The dcgrib2 program in GEMPAK 5.10.4 will use the
$GEMTBL/grid/grdnav.tbl
to figure out the grid number 212, given the navigation within the GRIB2
data, so
the above pattern will work with 5.10.4. Older versions will use 255 as
the missing
identifier for the @@@ template, so the "catch all" pattern is not the
best solution
for older installations.

The following pattern distributed with GEMPAK 5.10.4 will store
all the NAM #212 into a single file determined by the gribkey.tbl
template file:
#
# NAM #212 40km grid CONUS (5.10.4 and later)
HDS|CONDUIT     ((/mNAM|/mNMM).*#212|prod/nam.*awip3d)
        PIPE    decoders/dcgrib2 -d data/gempak/logs/dcgrib2_NAM212.log
                -e GEMTBL=@GEMTBL@

For older distributions where the grdnav.tbl isn't used to determine the
grid number for @@@ templates in GRIB2 decoding, you should provide the
output file name without using @@@ such as:

#
# NAM #212 40km grid CONUS (pre 5.10.4)
HDS|CONDUIT     ((/mNAM|/mNMM).*#212|prod/nam.*awip3d)
        PIPE    decoders/dcgrib2 -d data/gempak/logs/dcgrib2_NAM212.log
                -e GEMTBL=@GEMTBL@
                data/gempak/model/nam/YYYYMMDDHH_nam212.gem

The best solution is to have all 40km NAM data being written to a single
decoded
file regardless of data stream source so that the analysis and display
program users
don't have to know where the data originated.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support