[GEMPAK #SDR-400624]: GEMPAK - converting csh scripts to bash

> Institution: University of California, Los Angeles
> Package Version: 5.10.2
> Operating System: Mac OS 10.4.10
> Hardware Information: Mac Pro, 5 G RAM, 2 2x2.66 GHz Intel Xeon Processors
> Inquiry: Hello-
>
> I recently switched from a Solaris based system to a Mac.  I've been using
> GEMPAK for years and writing my scripts in csh.  My new Mac, however,
> defaults to bash.  I've installed GEMPAK on the Mac and it works fine from
> the command line in either tcsh or bash, but the attached script only works
> in tcsh (with bash it seems to be running but then says "bus error" and
> closes the terminal).  Is there a simple way to switch over my scripts?
>
> Thanks so much!
> Kristen

Kristen,

Your shell file attached has an error on the first line It says "tsh"
instead of "tcsh".

Also note that if you would prefer your default login shell to be /bin/tcsh, the
"chsh" command (aka chpass -s) can be used to change your shell so that
you don't get bash.

In general, when writing scripts for bash, you want to configure the
$NAWIPS/Gemenviron.profile script and source it into a bash script
using ". $NAWIPS/Gemenviron.profile", similarly to
running "source $NAWIPS/Gemenviron" in a csh.

There is not converter to take old shell scripts and convert them to bash
however,
but that shouldn't stop you from using the shell environment you are
comfortable with.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: SDR-400624