[GEMPAK #CDI-788374]: GEMPAK - NSHARP Surface Data from Models

Marty,

GDPROF (which is what GARP is using to plot skew-t's) is using all
grids on the pressure coordinate and plotting the profile
for those levels, even if the points are below ground.

NSHARP on the other hand looks to determine what the surface pressure is,
and if you have a grid of PRES@0%NONE which you do, it uses that to
exclude data below ground. NSHARP does not use the 2m temp and dewpoint,
not the 10 meter winds as replacement for surface conditions though your
could use gdvint and interpolate the data as needed in your grid file.

I have updated NSHARP for the 5.10.4 distribution in progress to
interpolate the levels to the surface elevation to improve the surface
based parameters and can send you a binary if that is what you are currently
using.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Institution: Central Michigan University
> Package Version: 5.10.2
> Operating System: Linux FC5
> Hardware Information: Dell 380
> Inquiry: Steve,
>
> I am using NSHARP to look at RUC soundings. Notice that the lowest level is
> different between what is displayed in GARP. The lowest level in NSHARP is
> 975 mb. Is there any way I can get the surface to display in NSHARP, as it
> seems to be doing in GARP? When you lift a parcel from 975, that\\\'s not
> really the same as the surface. The RUC file is 40 km resolution, and it does
> include 2 m T, Td, and winds. It also includes 1000 mb grids.
>
> Are you aware of any more technical documentation on NSHARP - how all this
> stuff is calculated?
>
> On another note, thanks for responding to my earlier question on GARP. Your
> suggestions worked.
>
> Marty

Ticket ID: CDI-788374
Department: Support GEMPAK