[Support #UDO-760622]: Changing MAXGOPN in dcgrib2/dcgrib.c, version 5.10.3

> Did you get my message about the ens002 files?

Yes, These are typically the legacy "mrf" products. I believe that NWS isn't
going to transition them to GRIB2. but still part of the CONDUIT stream at the
moment.

The thinned grids are the most time consuming to stitch together since
it requires the ability to read back the grid and insert the new bytes. I
keep the grid in memory to avoid that if the pieces are in sucession, but
otherwise, if not in order would be a IO hit. Given thenumber of
GEFS ensembles in CONDUIT, you may want to comment out the thinned grid
ensembles, eg:

# Global Ensemble grids also on grids [I-P]
#HDS    ^H..... KWBK ([0-3][0-9])([0-2][0-9])
#       PIPE    decoders/dcgrib2 -d data/gempak/logs/dcgrib2_GFSensg.log
#               -e GEMTBL=/home/gempak/NAWIPS/gempak/tables

> Also, why are these
> split up by forecast hour instead of put into one file?
>
> CONDUIT data/nccf.*/(ge[cp][0-9][0-9])\.t[0-2][0-9]z\.pgrb2.* !(.*)!
> PIPE    gdecoders/dcgrib2 -v 1 -d
> data/gempak/logs/dcgrib2_CONDUITens.log
> -e GEMTBL=/usr/local/ldm/NAWIPS-5.10.3i/gempak/tables
> data/gempak/model/ens/\1_YYYYMMDDHHfFFF.gem
> #
> # For now, don't mix TIGGE files with other ensembles since not all
> parameters
> # are available for all members
> # data2/TIGGE/gep07.t06z.pgrb2cf00
> CONDUIT data2/TIGGE/(ge[cp][0-9][0-9])\.t[0-2][0-9]z\.pgrb2.* !(.*)!
> PIPE    gdecoders/dcgrib2 -v 1 -d
> data/gempak/logs/dcgrib2_CONDUITens.log
> -e GEMTBL=/usr/local/ldm/NAWIPS-5.10.3i/gempak/tables
> data/gempak/model/tigge_gefs/\1_YYYYMMDDHHfFFF.gem

I used NCEP's file structure where the forecast hours are in individual files
due to the expanding number of parameters and levels that are being produced,
and sort of a remnant of when we stuck all members into a single file and tacked
on the Cxxx, Pxxx and Nxxx extensions.
.
The size of all hours in a single file would only be about 100 mb at the
moment, which
isn't bad, and it would make the disk directory easier to glean.
The primary concern is to have the individual members in separate files for
compatinbility with the ens_ functions, so that may be the best solution.

I kept the TIGGE parameters separate since the number and levels of members
was less than the rest, which caused some processing problems, but otherwise,
not an issue.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Unidata User Support wrote:
> >> I am running into an NFS problem with the dcgrib2 decoder and the GFSens
> >> files.  I believe the problem is the constant opening and closing of
> >> grid files since only 5 (MMFILE in gemprm.h) are allowed to be open at a
> >> time.  Can I just change the value of MAXGOPN in the main routine
> >> (dcgrib.c), or do I need to change MMFILE in gemprm.h and rebuild GEMPAK?
> >>

> > Harry,
> >
> > The value MMFILE would have to be changed in gemprm.h and GEMPRM.PRM
> > and the entire distribution rebuilt.
> >
> > I noticed that NWS added grid 38 to the thinned ensembles where previously
> > only grids 39-40 existed. I modified the gribkey.tbl to:
> > ! Ensemble spectral AVN/MRF grids
> > 007   2   ???          037 data/gempak/model/ens/YYYYMMDDHH_ensthin.gem
> > 20000
> > 007   2   ???          038 data/gempak/model/ens/YYYYMMDDHH_ensthin.gem
> > 20000
> > 007   2   ???          039 data/gempak/model/ens/YYYYMMDDHH_ensthin.gem
> > 20000
> > 007   2   ???          040 data/gempak/model/ens/YYYYMMDDHH_ensthin.gem
> > 20000
> > 007   2   ???          041 data/gempak/model/ens/YYYYMMDDHH_ensthin.gem
> > 20000
> > 007   2   ???          042 data/gempak/model/ens/YYYYMMDDHH_ensthin.gem
> > 20000
> >
> > that should help in only having to open 1 ensthin file instead of multiple
> > YYYYMMDDHHfFFF_ens@@@.gem files.
> >
> > Steve Chiswell
> > Unidata User Support
> >

> > Ticket Details