[Support #HRV-768669]: request gempak scripts to plot satellite imagery

> Hi, unidata staff,
>
> I was wondering if you could provide me with the scripts that are used
> to generate your
> color enhanced IR imagery at the following web site:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/images/gemweb.gif
>

> The NCEP is generating satellite look like products and
> I'm interested to compare our look like with your obs.  Thank you very
> much for your help.
>
> Huiya
>
> --
> Hui-Ya Chuang
> Research Meteorologist
> NOAA /NCEP /EMC
> 301.763.8000 x7219

Hui-Ya,

The enhanced IR image is created from the SUPER-NATIONAL 8km IR imagery
broadcast on NOAAPORT (eg the products under the headers "TIGN02 KNES").

The image with watches, warnings and hurricane tracks overlaid are
done with GPMAP as attached in the gemweb_example.csh script.

The script uses 2 attached GEMPAK restore files (.nts files) to
make the script easier to read....but all values could be set
in the script without the restore files. The addition of the second
title line is just for added information, no other data is being
drawn.

I have also attached the ir_upc3.tbl file I use for the enhancement
as the LUTFIL setting for GPMAP.

You may be interested to know that I have worked with a University to create
IR image type products from WRF output as well using a grid to image program
I provide so that the forecast image can be used just as a satellite image from
NOAAport.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: HRV-768669