[GEMPAK #RUX-727661]: Ability of GEMPAK to dump/list data files in ASCII format

> Hi Steve,
>
> Using GDCSV, I converted the radar_mosaic_national (a 6km
> grib1 product) to ASCII for one grid point. Which radar
> product do these files come from (NEXRAD Level I, II, or
> III) and are these images base or composite reflectivity?

Massoud,

I create the national composite products for the FNEXRAD data stream
using GDRADR as described in the GEMPAK web page:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/examples/gdradr/

I composite the level III N0R lowest tilt products taking the maximum value
when stations overlap. Anyone could create their own mosaic using
the NCR composite reflectivity or other product using GDRADR and the NEXRAD
files
in the IDD data stream just as I have.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport

> Also, since the weather service assembles the returns from
> all the radar sites in the national network and compiles
> the information onto maps of the U.S., then what altitude
> is the radar beam positioned that's measuring the return
> signal for both composite and base reflectivity?
>
> Massoud Fazal
> UARC Systems Teaching Institute
> NASA Ames Research Center
> Moffett Field, CA 94035