[GEMPAK #RUX-727661]: Ability of GEMPAK to dump/list data files in ASCII format

Massoud,

You have to use the appropriate GEMPAK name for a given parameter.
The grib1 parameter #61 for example is decoded to the GEMPAK parameter P--M
as can be seen in $GEMTBL/grid/wmogrib2.tbl, eg:
061 Total precipitation               kg m**-2             P--M             0
  -0.01 etc...

The "--" in the P--M will be replaced by the time period of accumulation
(generally 03, 06, 09, or 12 for the NAM or GFS grids you are referring to).

See "phelp gfunc" or
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/help_and_documentation/manual/variables/chap3.php?parm=gparm

      In addition, precipitation will be converted from inches (I) to
      millimeters (M) and vice versa, if the grids are named P__M or
      P__I.  The middle characters are numbers giving the time interval
      over which the precipitation accumulated. For example, P24M is
      a 24-hour precipitation total.

To see all the parameters available in the file, set GFUNC=all in gdinfo
so that you can become familiar with the contents of your decoded file.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport

Ticket ID: RUX-727661
Department: Support GEMPAK