[GEMPAK #MGA-118138]: Filtering of the number of points in LINE

> Hi Steve,
>
> Setting CONTUR=3/3 did result in nicer smoothing.  I want to
> understand better how CONTUR works.  My understanding is that the
> first number indicates the sub-boxes to be divided in each grid cell.
> So in this case, does 3 mean that each grid cell is now sub-divided
> into 9 boxes?

Yes, that would be the case.

> As for the 2nd number, I thought it works like a 0 or 1 switch.  Do
> numbers > 1 do anything extra?

No, the second number on CONTUR is the number of smoothing passes.It
should be an integer. Numbers greater than 1 imply additional smoothing passes.

> I am still looking to see if there is a way to decrease the number of
> points used to compose a line beyond the max=1.0 setting in the last
> entry of LINE.  I guess I am looking for a 2, or something similiar to
> IJSKIP=1, although in this case, it is not to skip i and j but "point
> skip".  I suppose this would require a modification of the code, right?

There is a program that NCEP uses called mkelev which I haven't used- to
generate
topography contours. A companion program called ccplot is also in the
$GEMPAK/utilities/mkelev directory which you could look at for some ideas.
I haven't attempted to do what you are looking to do, but since you obtain
GEMPAK from NCEP, they are probably the best folks to ask about how to
accomplish what you are trying to do.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Kwan