[GEMPAK #ERO-473622]: installing Gempak5.10.2 binary for Mac OSX

> Hi Steve,
> Thank you for the clarification, we sourced the Gemenviron file (using
> tcsh shell).  When we launch ntl, we get the error message:
>
> no such file or directory
> /usr/lib/libmx.a.dy.lib

Brett,

These are libraries provided with Darwin:

> ls -l libmx*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  343645 Oct  6  2006 libmx.A.dylib
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  360744 Dec 24  2005 libmx.A_debug.dylib
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  377128 Dec 24  2005 libmx.A_profile.dylib
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel      13 Apr  1  1976 libmx.dylib -> libmx.A.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   33368 Dec 24  2005 libmx_debug.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   33216 Dec 24  2005 libmx_profile.dylib

Our Darwin is version 8.8.0:
> uname -v
Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.0: Fri Sep  8 17:18:57 PDT 2006;
root:xnu-792.12.6.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC

I know there are others running my binaries with more recent versions of
OS-X/Darwin.

Check your installation.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Is there a script we need to run using the Darwin binary distribution?
> Also, we are uncertain how to set up LDM decoders, are these scripts?
> Your help is greatly appreciated!
> Thanks,
> -Brett
>
> Unidata GEMPAK Support wrote:
>
> >Brett,
> >
> >The Gemenviron script is the proper syntax if you are using csh or tcsh
> >as your user shell. The Gemenviron.profile script is the proper syntax
> >for sh, bash, ksh user shells. The "if....fi" is standard shell
> >syntax for sh, bash, ksh. You should only  source this with ".
> >Gemenviron.profile"
> >if you are running one of these shells. If you are using csh or tcsh,
> >you should "source Gemenviron". Only one of these is needed, and it is
> >dependent
> >on which shell you are using.
> >
> >The "~" character has reserved special meaning in shell syntax, so you
> >should not
> >name your user directories /~/...
> >
> >That is, the traditional location for a user "smith" would have an account
> >under /home/smith. The use of the shell syntax "~smith" then refers to
> >the /home/smith location, eg the user home location as
> >defined in your /etc/password file.
> >
> >I suggest you create a /home/gempak directory and unpack the GEMPAK
> >distribution
> >to that location and set up the account as described in the GEMPAK
> >installation
> >web pages. Then, determine what type of shell you are using. If you are
> >not sure how to do that, see your system administrator. Once
> >you have determined which shell you are using, you can then configure either
> >Gemenviron
> >or Gemenviron.profile as appropriate for your shell.
> >
> >Steve Chiswell
> >Unidata User Support
> >

> >>Dear Gempak Support,
> >>
> >>We downloaded the binary distribution of Gempak5.10.2 for Mac OSX
> >>Darwin.  We installed the unpacked directory as /~/gempak/GEMPAK5.10.2
> >>and created the link file.  When we attempted to source the Gemenviron
> >>and Gemenviron.profile, we ran into problems.
> >>
> >>We got error messages when trying to source the Gemenviron.profile
> >>file about invalid syntax for if statements.  Looking at the file with
> >>a text editor, the if statements end with fi instead of end if.  Also,
> >>we had to modify both the Gemenviron and the Gemenviron.profile files
> >>definition of the directory structure by replacing /home/... with
> >>/~/... because ~ is used by OSX instead of 'home'.
> >>
> >>Is it possible to download a previous build of the gempak binary that
> >>had a working install for OSX?  Or can you provide us with a copy of
> >>Gemenviron.profile that works?
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>-Brett
> >>
> >>Brett R. Goforth
> >>Department of Earth Sciences
> >>University of California, Riverside 92521

> [...]

Ticket ID: ERO-473622
Department: Support GEMPAK