[GEMPAK #ZEX-294741]: OS X limitation on PowerPC?

> Hello, Steve,
>
> > The binary distribution I build is on a PPC (G5 I believe) which shows
> > Darwin 8.8.0:
> >
> > % uname -a
> > Darwin sid.unidata.ucar.edu 8.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.0: Fri Sep  8
> > 17:18:57 PDT 2006; root:xnu-792.12.6.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh
> > powerpc
> >
> > If you are having trouble on a G4 with possibly older OS-X version, it
> > might be that
> > the message queues aren't supported (Tiger and Jaguar didn't support, but
> > Panther did).
> >
> > Can you check on your Darwin version and/or tell me about how old your OS-X
> > version is?
> > I don't have an Intel based system here, but is nice to know you have had
> > success
> > on that platform. I'm assuming you are running the
> > binary I provided?
> >
> Darwin boreas.gso.uri.edu 8.10.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.10.0: Wed May
> 23 16:50:59 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.21.3~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh
> powerpc
>
> So our kernal is up to date. It is possible that our test was
> compromised when I tried to set the DISPLAY variable. It appears I did
> so incorrectly, and we'll re-try Gempak graphics with this set
> correctly. It's only in graphics programs that we get the bus error.

If DISPLAY wasn't set, then you might see a NODEVC -83 error. You might
also hand the gplt process which tries to spawn the xw, gf, or ps driver, so
make sure
all your gplts are killed, and your message queues are clean.

If you still have trouble, you might try sending the DISPLAY to another machine
that you know works so that you can rule out simple X server problems
instead of GEMPAK code incompatibilities.

Good Luck,

Steve

> Yes, we use the binary version on the Intel machine, and it works just
> fine - both text and graphics programs.
>
> If we continue to have problems with graphics on the ppc machine, I'll
> let you know.           John M.

Ticket ID: ZEX-294741
Department: Support GEMPAK