[GEMPAK #YWZ-572210]: [Fwd: make]

> I use Linux (KNOPPIX, more specifically) and i686 is returned by uname
> -m. Could KNOPPIX be the cause of my problems? I'd like to think not
> because it uses the same Linux kernel as most everything else.
>
> My system is a customized Dell Poweredge SC1430, using 2 dual core Intel
> Xeon 5110's.
>
> I changed some things around, and here's what my make.out file now says:

Chris,

Use the scripts as provided, but change the linux case in Gemenviron

case linux:
   setenv NA_OS "linux"
   if ( ! $?MACHTYPE ) setenv MACHTYPE `uname -m`
   if ( $MACHTYPE == "x86_64" ) setenv NA_OS "linux64"
   breaksw

You will need to ensure that you have openmotif installed on your system
(not lestif!) if that isn't part of your environment. Also, you will need g77
installed if not already.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> [...]
>

> Thanks,
> Chris
>
> Unidata GEMPAK Support wrote:
> > Chris,
> >
> > MACHTYPE is an environmental variable set by Linux.
> > If your csh environment does not have this set, then
> > you have a different type of Linux environment than the
> > FC environment. You haven't told me what OS and
> > hardware you hvae, but the Gemenviron script has identified your
> > uname output as Linux. The test on MACHTYPE is to determine
> > whether you are i386 or x86_64. You can "setenv MACHTYPE `uname -m`"
> > if MACHTYPE is not otherwise defined in your environment before running
> > Gemenviron.
> >
> > I test on Fedora Core linux here. NCEP builds under RHEL.
> > What does "uname -a" and "uname -m" return on your system?
> >
> > Steve Chiswell
> > Unidata User Support
> >

> >> Hello again,
> >> I was not able to find anything with my Gemenviron file, so I decided to
> >> start from scratch and try again; perphaps I messed up something in the
> >> install.  So I removed GEMPAK and obtained the 5.10.2 version this
> >> time.  I unzipped the tar file into my /home/gempak directory, and
> >> symlinked it right away.  I looked over Gemenviron and sourced it;
> >> everything looked ok, so I then went to make, using "make all >&
> >> make.out &" and I got the attached from make.out...
> >>
> >> I'm sure there must be something foolish that I'm missing, but I don't
> >> know why this refuses to work for me.
> >> Also to note, when I source Gemenviron (I'm in csh) it gives me
> >> "MACHTYPE: Undefinded variable." but I source it again and it doesn't
> >> complain at all...
> >>
> >> Thanks for your time,
> >> Chris
> >>
> >> --
> >> /=====================================================\
> >> || Chris Gidley        Computer Systems Administrator ||
> >> || The STORM Project      University of Northern Iowa ||
> >> ||====================================================||
> >> || WEB    : www.uni.edu/storm                         ||
> >> || E-MAIL : address@hidden                      ||
> >> || OFFICE : LAT 206B                                  ||
> >> || PHONE  : (319) 273-3789                            ||
> >> \=====================================================/
> >>

> > Ticket Details
> > ===================
> > Ticket ID: YWZ-572210
> > Department: Support GEMPAK
> >

> --
> || Chris Gidley        Computer Systems Administrator ||
> || The STORM Project      University of Northern Iowa ||
> || WEB    : www.uni.edu/storm                         ||
> || E-MAIL : address@hidden                      ||
> || OFFICE : LAT 206B                                  ||
> || PHONE  : (319) 273-3789                            ||

Ticket ID: YWZ-572210
Department: Support GEMPAK