[GEMPAK #DPK-410131]: plotting data generated from a program in a text file

> Steve,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a try. One question
> though......You suggest creating a station table file saying the 10th
> column would be the hail size for that location. Since the hailsize
> value will change how do I show the 10th column in the new station table
> file?  Would it be something like "xxx" or am I thinking along the wrong
> path here?
>
> Kevin

Kevin,

You would create a new station table and reference that new table every time
you wanted
to generate a plot. Nothing fancy for accessing time dependency. It just
accomplishes
the plan view you mentioned in the simplest way.

If you want to have the functionality of using the data as time dependent data,
you
are always better off putting the data into a Gempak format data file.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Unidata GEMPAK Support wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've got a question for you. I am running a program that will create a
> >> hail size forecast using the PFC soundings. I am saving the output into
> >> a text file for each individual station. (The output will look like
> >> this....1.32";    2.27",    3.15", etc).  How do I go about manipulating
> >> the output text data so that I can plot it onto a map (plan view). I'm
> >> not sure which GEMPAK programs to run to do this...if it is possible.
> >> Thanks for your help!
> >>
> >> Kevin
> >>

> > Kevin,
> >
> > Depending on what you eventually want to do with the data, you could:
> > 1) create a station table type of file (like snstns.tbl) where the 10th
> > column would be your text string of the hail size, eg:
> > FCS       72468 FORT_CARSON                      CO US  3870 -10476  1789
> > 0 3.5"
> > DNR       72469 DENVER/STAPLETON                 CO US  3975 -10487  1625
> > 0 1.23"
> > GJT       72476 GRAND_JUNCTION/WALKER            CO US  3911 -10853  1475
> > 0 2"
> >
> > You can then plot the text string of column #10 in any program which has
> > STNPLT as
> > a parameter (including gpmap) such as:
> >  STNPLT   = 3/1/2/1/hw||hailstns.us#10
> >
> > 2) If you would like to use the data as station data, contour, etc, then
> > put it into the format of SFLIST and import it into a file created with
> > SFCFIL
> > with appropriate SFPRMF attributes.
> >
> > Steve Chiswell
> > Unidata User Support