[GEMPAK #BQJ-846243]: repackaging Gempak?

Jose,

When you registered to download Unidata software, you agreed to
the terms as described in the reference link:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/legal/participation.html#software
You should also view the README.License_disclaimer in all
distributions and the 3rd party libraries used in GEMPAK
also carry there own licenses.

As stated in the terms of use, Unidata has limited resources, and
can only provide support to unmodified distributions, for non-commercial
use. The repackaging/redistribution you describe is not supportable by Unidata.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Hi Steve
>
> I am interested in the possibility of repackaging the binary distribution
> of Gempak such that it can be installed, upgraded and managed,
> with the native package management tools of the host os, e.g.,
> rpm in red-hat (fedora core, etc), pkg_xxx in *bsd, or pkgxxx in solaris.
>
> Specifically I wanted to ask the following:
>
> (1) To what extent is it permitted to repackage the binary distribution of
> Gempak and distribute such a package, if at all posible?
>
> 2) If there is no way to permit (1), can an individual user take
> his binary distribution of Gempak, repackage it and install it
> from the resulting rpm, pkg_add, ..., package?
>
> >From a technical point of view, any of this is possible;
> I have done it as a test using the current binary distributions.
> What I am asking is whether, or to what extent, any of these alternatives
> is permitted by the current license of the Gempak software?
>
> Thank you for any advice.
>
> Regards
>
> Jose F Nieves

Ticket ID: BQJ-846243