[GEMPAK #VLS-573998]: Adding new parameters in surface SHIP files

> Steve,
>
> So for example, if a station reports SLP=550 with no altimeter
> settings, GEMPAK would decode it as 955.0mb instead of 1055.0mb?
>
> Kwan

Actually, in a METAR, the valid range without altimeter is 980 to 1049
as seen in $GEMPAK/source/bridge/mt/mtslp.f:
C*      Check for the altimeter setting in millibars or inches.
C*      If neither exists, then the mean sea level pressure can have
C*      the range of 980-1049 mb.
C*
C*      If the altimeter exists, get the value in millibars.

With altimeter, it will start at 1000 + coded slp, and then iterate downward
using altimeter with a minimum value of 800mb. So, the only way to decode a
PMSL of 1054 in a metar report would be to have the altimeter.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: VLS-573998
Department: Support GEMPAK