[IDD #IDT-103545]: IDD - FNEXRAD composite quality

John,

As mentioned previously, we have received a feed of the NSSL group's LDM
product,
for evaluation for distributing via our IDD. I added the ability for GEMPAK to
display that product.
The gzipped NetCDF file is a little awkwrd at the moment, so hopefully another
option of NetCDF4 with
compression, GRIB2 etc could be done.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Institution: Museum of Science
> Package Version: N/A
> Operating System: N/A
> Hardware Information: N/A
> Inquiry: We've been trying to use the FNEXRAD composites for public display
> and education - but the problem we've always had with them is that they
> suffer from a lack of quality a control.  At least last we tried, they were
> full of sun beams, clutter, and other artifacts.  For our portion of New
> England at least, we've been running NSSL's WDSS-II suite and generating our
> own much higher quality composites from the NEXRAD2 feed and converting them
> into GEMPAK grids for display.  The results are stunning.  It is my
> understanding that NSSL has a big cluster they run WDSS-II on merging every
> nexrad site into a national mosiac.  Given that it is very possible to
> convert the data into GEMPAK grids in real-time, is there any interest in
> working with them to inject at least the composite reflectivity mosiac
> (MergedReflectivityComposite) into the IDD?
>
> John

Ticket ID: IDT-103545
Department: Support GEMPAK