[GEMPAK #IEV-629337]: Station list for LDM WMO feed

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to work with the WMO feed data we (EOL) are collecting via
> LDM.  This is an international collection of data, so it's really hard
> to find station location information for all these files.
>
> I know that things are always evolving over at UNIDATA.  Do you have a
> global station list for this data, or any plans for creating one? (I
> kinow I've asked before but thought I'd check and see if anything has
> changed.)
>
> I have a delimma in that without station location information I can't
> tell which stations are in my area of interest.  And when you combine
> station lists there is always the possibility that they won't agree on
> the location for a given station, and the problem of determining which
> is right. And I always wonder if a station has moved since my station
> list was created... Hence the desire to check with you before I plow
> ahead on my own.
>
> For my current application, I just need stations in the TREX area.
> Chiz, Can I safely assume that all the stations in the US are covered by
> $GEMTBL/stns/sfstns.tbl?

No. sfstns.tbl covers most of NCEP's needs, but I generally find additional and
add those in to sfmetar_sa.tbl
which is what the pqact action I provide is using with dcmetr. Since I amusing
data from several sources,
and there may be errors in any source, I make modifications to sfmetar_sa.tbl
and not the distributed sfstns.tbl.
Clearly, historical location and information is a problem. NCDC is working on
that problem, but many of the smaller FAA
locations are not in their database.

The 5.10.1 release has quite a few updated Canadian and Mexican locations as
compared to 5.9.4. Greg Thompson
has a station table he maintains as well- and the MADIS data sets should have
locations within the NetCDF files
if you are able to cover your area from that source.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Thanks for any/all help.
>
> Janine