[GEMPAK #LZI-130718]: Perl sat script using gempak

Jamie,

GEMPAK display satellite imagery using the GPMAP program, or any other mapping
program. These are not scripts. You can write shell scripts to automate the
process
of GEMPAK image display (which is generally useful if you are producing web
graphics).

Satellite images are sent via the IDD. The format of these images is either
Area file, or NOAAPORT GINI. To display the images in GPMAP, you set the SATFIL
parameter to the file name, and the PROJ parameter to "sat".

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> I am working on a project with a professor. We have decided to use our
> Universities Servers that run on Gempak to gather the data we need. What I
> want
> to do is pull the satellite data out of the gempak server, create an image,
> then store that image in a different file. I plan on using Perl to write the
> program that can do all this. I dont know much about gempak and I an told that
> it does not create satellite images but uses a script to create the image in
> the program window. If this is true then how can I get the script I need to
> create the image? All so will this script work in the Perl program or do I
> have
> to use another language?

> Jamie Lahowetz
> Undergraduate of Meteorology