[GEMPAK #NKQ-598465]: GEMPAK - VGF file doesn't plot with gpmap

Mark,

I'm assuming you are producing the ASCII files using sigbufr, and then create
the vgf file you are trying to plot in GPMAP using sigavgf.

Looking back at the past support messages, the problem was that Don could run
the gpmap program interactively, but not from the script. He had said he could
paste
in the vgfil setting from the mouse contents and it would work.

In your gemglb.nts file, I see that the VGFILE you are trying to plot is:
/home/mhughes/gempak/GEMPAK5.8.3a/gempak/data/sigwx/bufrfiles/cat_2005102000_24_final.vgf

That name is expanded from the $SIGWX csh environmental variable BEFORE gpmap
is run.

While gpmap will allow the parameter string to be 128 characters long, the
vgfile portion of the
VGFILE = vgfile | scale file | attribute file | filter
is compiled in gpmap to be 72 characters. Your vgfile input is 89 characters
long, so
that is a problem. You can avoid this by creating a symbolic link in your
working directory from that file location to the local directory and then by
referencing the
local directory file name in VGFILE.

On the other hand, you could use in your script:
VGFILE = \$SIGWX/etc....

By escaping the "$" character, it will be passed to gpmap as is, and gpmap will
expand the environmental variable through its file opening routine.

Try either of those solutions.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Institution: GWDI
> Package Version: GEMPAK Version 5.8.3a
> Operating System: Linux
> Hardware Information: HP Pavillion
> Inquiry: Hi,
>
> I am continuing the work of an employee who corresponded with you in the past
> (Don Clary).
>
> He is no longer with us, but I have read the emails you sent and I am at the
> point he was when he left.
>
> The problem is I use gpmap to produce a graphic, but the .vgf layer doesn't
> appear.
>
> Don had this same problem and you made some suggestions.
>
> I attach my script (euro_chart.gif) along with my current gemglb.nts file.
>
> Maybe you can see what's wrong, or maybe you can point me to an example.  My
> goal is to produce SIGWX charts from bufr messages.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark Hughes

Ticket ID: NKQ-598465
Department: Support GEMPAK