[GEMPAK #MKH-276594]: GEMPAK - Coverting Lightning data

Alex,

I don't know what format of data you have from NSSL. The NLDN data
that the example you refer to is decoded using the dcnldn decoder based on the
binary format that Unidata IDD users have access to through SUNY-Albany.

In general, I decode the lightning data to a GEMPAK surface/ship file for
plotting
as observations in GEMPAK. They can then be plotted using SFMAP or NMAP2 as
desired.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Institution: NWS
> Package Version: 5.9
> Operating System: Linux Enterprise
> Hardware Information: Dual processor
> Inquiry: Trying to covert lightning data from NSSL.
> It is in a .lga file.  For example aug04.lga
>
> I see the gempak script at
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/examples/lightning/lightning.html
>
> Is this the best script to use for this purpose.
>
> Thanks!

Ticket ID: MKH-276594
Department: Support GEMPAK