[GEMPAK #DHJ-627451]: PV from RUC fields in GEMPAK

John,

If you can give me a gpoint/time/run (and GEMPAK version) I can take a look.
It is most likely that the LDF(THTA) would be negative in the lower layers,
but since you are seeing these values well up into the atmosphere, that
shouldn't
be the case....but if you are missing a large number of levels, then the
LDF calculation could be way off.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Hello, Steve:
> We've been working with RUC fields from the Conduit feed,
> and recently have been using gdprof to list the vertical
> profile of variables at a site. In looking at pvor(thta,
> wnd) I quite often see PV < 0. When the magnitudes are small
> I can be undistressed, but when I see this, I am flummoxed,
> (p, pvor*10**6):
> 412.31                0.382
> 387.30                0.314
> 362.28                0.259
> 337.27                0.095
> 312.25               -0.118
> 287.23               -0.247
> 262.20               -0.305
> 237.17               -0.323
> 212.13               -0.230
> 187.08                0.070
> 162.02                1.852
> 136.93                6.565
> 111.80                8.240
>
> I have not yet inspected the fields for this day and
> time, but can do so of course. Is this something you've
> noted before?       John M.

Ticket ID: DHJ-627451
Department: Support GEMPAK