[GEMPAK #TUL-228048]: error in gdinfo

The scan mode flags in the GRIB data are supposed to tell teh decoder which
direction the grid is oriented
(eg, points from top to bottom N/S or bottom to top).

The Grid #002 is a WMO standard definition that the decoder decodes many
real-time feeds in, so it sounds
like the scan mode flags of your grib are not as expected.
If needed, I can look at the grid to see if the decoder is behaving properly.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> > Dear Mr Chiswell,
> >
> > I found the error. If I plot the temperature conturs on a global scale I see
> > that the grid is upside down. North and South on the map are at different
> > places compared to North and South on my grid which are the temperatures on.
> > That explains why my temperatures are too cold. I was looking at the
> > northern
> > hemisphere on the map but at the same time looking at temperature values of
> > the southern hemisphere.
> > When could that have happend? During converting .grb to .grd with dcgrib2?
> > Could this be a problem with the header of my grib file?
> >
> > Kathrin
> >
> > Am Mittwoch, 9. August 2006 00:25 schrieb Unidata GEMPAK Support:
> > > Kathrin,
> > >
> > > IU'd have to see your input to gdinfo and its output listing to know what
> > > the GDU error is referring to. It might be that the GFUNC isn't present to
> > > a time or specified level.
> > >
> > > If you want to post your decoded GEMPAK file, I'll take a look at that
> > > too.
> > >
> > > Any information about what the temperature field is "off" would be useful.
> > > If it is a scaling issue, eg 10**scale, then it may just be a units
> > > conversion, otherwise, I can't say yet.
> > >
> > > Steve Chiswell
> > > Unidata User Support

> > > Ticket Details