[GEMPAK #PUL-762311]: dcgrib2 problem

> Steve,
>
> Thank you so much for your detective work!  I forwarded your message
> to the person doing the post-processing that creates the GRIB files, and
> the surface elevation field was added after the other fields were
> processed
> (the idea being that computation time is faster by adding the field,
> in that
> it is unchanging).

They should still change the PDS in the file to set the correct date
in the grib message even if the data in the grid doesn't change.
That would be a couple of bytes to write.

> I was able to split the output into two files as you suggested.  I
> tried to
> use this file separately in GDCROSS to plot the terrain, but I can't
> seem to get it to work.  Is it possible to use this surface elevation
> file
> in GDCROSS, even though it contains only one level?

You can use GDDAIG to create a new surface hght grid with the correct time
from the other file. You can simply set:
GFUNC  = hght
GVCORD = none
GLEVEL = 0
GDATTIM = 060423/1200f000

and then give the appropriate time for your other data in GRDNAM such as:
GRDNAM = hght^050721/1200F003

Set GDOUTF for your July 2005 file and GDFILE for your input file.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Brian
>

> On Jul 19, 2006, at 9:58 AM, Unidata GEMPAK Support wrote:
>
> > Brian,
> >
> > I redownloaded your file and ran:
> > % cat wrfprs_ruc13_03.tm00 | dcgrib2 -v 1 -d - YYYYMMDDHH_fsl.gem
> > There was one grid in your grib file for April 23, 2006 (aka
> > surface hght). That
> > was the very last grib product in your file (either your output was
> > appended at
> > that point, or your last product was coded for that date/time
> > incorrectly).
> > That information comes from the PDS block of the GRIB product.
> >
> > If you decoded your data to a single file, then GDATTIM=last will
> > find that April 23
> > date as the most recent in the file since it is later than the 2005
> > date.
> >
> > If you use the file name templates as I did above, you will get 2
> > output files:
> >
> > 2005072112_fsl.gem  2006042312_fsl.gem
> >
> > Now, using gdattim=last on the 2005072112_fsl.gem will July 21,
> > 2005 f003 data.
> >
> > Basically, the decoder is behaving properly, as is gdinfo. You just
> > need to identify the source
> > of your April 23, 2006 grid.
> >
> > Steve Chiswell
> > Unidata User SUpport
> >

> >> Hi Steve,
> >>
> >> I think I've narrowed the problem down to the setting of GDATTIM.
> >> Previously, I was using GDATTIM=last, and for some reason, GEMPAK
> >> thinks the file is from April 23, 2006 (from one line that is
> >> displayed using
> >> GDINFO).  The file is really from July 21, 2005, and when I set
> >> GDATTIM=050721/1200F003, then I can see all the fields when I use
> >> GDINFO.
> >>
> >> Can you tell me what exactly GEMPAK looks at for the date and time
> >> when GDATTIM=last?
> >>
> >> Brian

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: PUL-762311